With Steady, you can offer your members exclusive access to podcast episodes or early access so they can be the first to hear your latest content.
We have built a feature that allows you to make certain audio files available exclusively to your members: the audio RSS feed.
Please note that Steady does not host your podcast, so you need to use a hosting service or host your files yourself.
How does it work?
Usually you would provide your listeners with a URL where they can subscribe to your podcast. The disadvantage of this method, however, is that your podcast will be public and thus also accessible to non-members.
Our audio RSS feed solves this problem. All you need to do is provide Steady with a (secret) shareable MP3 link. Steady can then generate personal feed URLs that are specific for each member.
How do I activate the individual Audio RSS Feed for my project?
Log in to Steady and go to general settings. Scroll down to "RSS Audio Feed", click on "Activate audio RSS feed for podcasters", and then "Save". You only need to do that once.
Next you need to publish an Audio Post on your Steady page. Here's how:
- Upload the exclusive podcast episode where you normally upload your episodes. This should generate a URL such as http://yourpodcast.com/episode.mp3. It's important that you don't share this URL publicly.
- Log in to Steady and click "Posts", then "New Post".
- Enable "members only". If you want to restrict access to your episode to members of certain plans, just check the corresponding plans.
- Check "Add URL path".
- Enter the URL of your exclusive podcast, for example http://yourpodcast.com/episode.mp3.
- Write a headline, some teaser text and a longer description of your episode.
- Click "Publish". That's it!
Tips for hosting your episodes
If you are using Wordpress, you can host the audio files yourself by uploading them to your Media area. Alternatively, you can use a hosting service, for example:
- Podbean (here you will need a premium account in order to share the secret MP3 link)
By the way: Dropbox is not a hosting platform. You can get a secret mp3 link there, but our audio RSS feed feature won’t work with it.
Questions about the audio RSS feed
What happens when a member cancels?
They will lose access to the exclusive audio feed when their member expires. After that, their individual RSS feed will no longer be active.
Can I connect the RSS Audio Feed with a specific membership plan?
Yes. You have to restrict access to the members of this plan when posting the new podcast episode (see above).
What happens when I make an audio post that is visible for all?
Then the episode will be accessible to everyone in your Posts section, including non-paying members. It will also be delivered to via the individual Audio RSS Feeds.